© 2015 by First Presbyterian Church of Hays

History of FPC Hays

This photo is of "Grandma Wilson" who, along with seven others, was present when the charter of this congregation was signed. Grandma Wilson is given credit in organizing the first church in Hays City in 1871. In addition, she was still in town when this small congregation purchased three lots on Pine (Seventh) Street and witnessed in September, 1879, construction of the first church building in Hays. It was dedicated in 1880, constructed of native stone and was a basic one room for worship.